On the things that have been happening...

It's been ages since I've blogged (for me). Some people go months without blogging, but not normally me. I haven't really I haven't blogged much since Grandma died.

I miss my Grandma! I am finding it hard to think about it - it's like this painful place which I just don't want to touch.

Of course, the fallout with the family has been horrendous. Some of my readers would have read the email I sent about that. Nothing's been resolved, but I did see my psychologist again finally on Thursday. I might blog about that in my private blog.

In other news, of course life doesn't stop when your Grandma dies. Work has been pretty busy - not the same level of stress though as when I started, because even though there's lots to do, I'm not as unfamiliar as I was a year ago. I guess that's a great blessing. I have some work problems too - might add that to the private blog.

Well, the good things that have been happening have been around fun things mainly done at the weekend. I'll tell you about some of them.

Probably the first item of note was Karen's Neil Gaiman party. I think Karen's already blogged about it over at her blog, but it isn't loading at the moment so I can't link to it.

Well, I always love someone who puts a spin on a party, and the chance to go along to a birthday party and dress up is always fun. However, I was a little worried this time around. Karen loves Neil Gaiman - I can see why - he's a great writer and it's very interesting work. The thing is, though, it's not really my sort of writing. I tend to like "real" life based novels rather than fantasy - I don't think I have enough imagination to fully appreciate Neil. So I was concerned when Karen wanted us to dress up. What could I dress up as? I read a bit of Neil's work over at www.neilgaiman.com but I knew that getting a character right would require detailed knowledge of the character. And I was worried that I would get it wrong. So what to do?

I found this photo of Neil and thought messing up my hair, and drawing on a beard and wearing a fleece and sunglasses, I thought that I might just make it as Neil. So I did.

The party was really fun. There are quite a few of Karen's friends who I love chatting to, but rarely see other than at Karen's. I always feel on the "artistic" edge around them, because I know that my knowledge of the arts and work of people like Neil's is extremely limited. That being said, none of them could top my knowledge of cricket, swimming, or ferrets lol.

Karen had 7 types of chocolate out - I didn't understand why, but each of them represented a "d" word - two that I can remember are denial and death. H & S went with funny eyes over their glasses which was a representation from another novel. We had sushi and then noodles, both of which were extremely yummy. It was a nice chance to hang out with people.

The only downer was that someone actually took me for a man, which of course does happen occasionally. I guess that at least this time I was trying to look like a man, which is not normally the case.

The next week Karen and I met up again. I love musicals, and she loves musicals, so when she invited me to attend a musical, I didn't care what it was - I was keen! Something happened and I think it was not the musical we were expecting to see, though we knew that well in advance.

Anyway, we had dinner at a gorgeous cafe on King St at Newtown and we both had haloumi. I think it was a burger of some sort, but it's been a month so I can't totally remember. Then we went down to the Seymour Centre.

The musical was the Gutenberg Musical. It was hilarious!!! It was written in the style of trying to get a musical noticed by an agent. So you watched it as they were trying to sell it to you. There were only 2 guys that did the entire thing, taking and putting on hats as they did different characters. The story itself was ridiculous - about the Gutenberg press, but it was extremely entertaining. Karen and I laughed nearly all of the way through it.

The next item of note was 2 weekends later. Orientation was over and I was pretty exhausted because in addition to trying to keep a hand on orientation, there's massive amounts of set up to do for my own programs. Cafedave and his wife had invited me over to meet Puff, their gorgeous little boy. So I headed over for afternoon tea and ended up staying for dinner. It was lovely to hang out with them and see a cool and funny (but incredibly gory) movie. I can't remember what it was called, but it was funny.

That'll do for updates for the moment.

Comments

  1. Good recap! I don't think I ever blogged about the party; just tweeted. And the 'D' chocolates were for the Endless in Sandman—Dream, Death, Delirium, Despair, Desire, Destruction and Destiny :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not worried

Community