New Zealand - Day 3


Tuesday 25 August 2009


We got up early, because I was giving a lift to J for the ski bus. As we walked outside, there was a bus there, so J gets on and I go back inside. I’m up anyway, and too excited to go back to sleep, so I try to email Virgin, and their site is actually working, so I get through.

Back up in the hotel room, there’s supposed to be a show about Hairspray, but it turns out to be from the Ugly Truth. I want to see that movie now! Then I watch most of License to Wed before heading into town, because I suspect it won’t be easy to get parking.

In town, I find a 3 hour spot, and go down to sign up for the jump. They write in blue writing on my hand, with my weight on the other hand (humiliation) and then sit on the internet until it’s time for our bus to leave.



I write this on Facebook while I wait:

So I sit here in the internet cafe next to the bus pick up point. They've provided the internet free, and something about that makes me think that they want us not to be dwelling too much on what we're about to do.

To say I feel terrified is probably a bit extreme at this point. I certainly feel nauseous, like I very easily return the contents of my stomach to the outside world. Every time I think about it my heart skips a bit; it does a little hop and I start to wonder why am I so crazy?

Well, the reality is that I am doing it to prove I can. I spend so much of my life not believing that I can do things. I am sick of it. I can do things. Yes, I can't be a flight attendant (I'm too tall) and yes I can't be an artist (the complete absence of talent is a crucial factor) but maybe, just maybe, I can do things that I never thought I could.

Like jump off a suspended structure and fall over 100m free fall. Can I do it? Not sure. But I hope so. See you on the other side.



On the bus out there, the view is ugly and nothing like the scenery of the previous day. The rest of the people jumping are in couples, and they’re both lighter and much younger than me. But doesn’t matter – I’m not doing it because of them.
Once we get to the jump site, I quickly get processed and head out along the scaffolding over the valley we are jumping down into.






I wait for ages, as all the couples get to go first. A pair of guys start getting strapped in, who arrived after me, and so I politely ask when I’m going. It’s pretty exposed and quite cold, and I am a bit sick of waiting, as each moment of waiting gets harder as I get more anxious.

Finally my turn. The harness is done up quite tight and I start my heart rate monitor.



The other girls paired with their boyfriends had squealed as they were lifted into place, with nothing between them and the ground, but I’m excited, and not at all scared.





The guy gets me to turn towards the pair of guys, who wait around to take photos of me (as I had taken photos of them). As I turn and wave, he drops me.







I squeal the entire way down, but once I go over the other side I start to really enjoy it. As I move, I wave my legs around and then enjoy swinging back and forward, even tipping my head back to look upside down behind me. Eventually I am raised up and pulled in.



I decide that it’s only an extra NZ$35 to do it again so I might as well. This time, I get dropped backwards. It’s not quite as fun as you can’t see yourself drop as well.

On the way back, I run for the bus (I’ll have to pick up my video later in town). The only seat is up the front, so I talk to the driver about a range of topics, including NZ politics, Maori issues, social justice, government support and Medicare.

Once back at the hotel, I check out the pool (outside and pathetic), and watch TV till J gets back.

I have a snooze and then we head out to the Beefeater, which has cool Gothic decor. It’s nice fish ‘n’ mash, but not as nice as Glenorchy. It’s my 20th Anniversary since I ran away from home at age 14, so I celebrate with a special strudel and icecream (oh, and the jump, of course).

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

June

Community

Not worried