In response to why church preachers don't "like" street preachers....
This is from a forum I'm talking on - what do you think?
======================================================
Scripture says that anyone who confesses the name of Jesus and believe in their heart that he is Lord will be saved (Romans 10:9). So it doesn't matter how the Holy Spirit works. The true conversion is one of turning and repenting and trusting in Jesus as your Lord and Saviour. So in that sense, it doesn't matter who tells you the good news, you are a Christian.
However, as I have been thinking about it, I was wondering why I was concerned about street preachers. I think it's because of the following concerns:
1. Having someone approach you on the street seems a bit, um, weird? If you know what I mean? It's a risk of tainting the great news of the kingdom with the "wacky" brush if you get approached in the street.
2. The Bible is really clear that those who teach should watch their doctrine closely (1 Tim 4), that they will be judged more strictly (James 3), that they need to hold firmly to the trustworthy message that they’ve been taught (Titus 1), and that people will want to hear what their itching ears want to hear, rather than the truth (2 Timothy 4). It’s really tempting to distort the gospel when you’re trying to win people over. I think this would be harder out on the street – that a street preacher might find it harder, in the moment, to stick to the truth in love.
3. Therefore, it’s really important that people who are teaching others the bible have themselves sound understanding of the Bible. We all know people who distort the Bible for their own purposes. Each preacher or teacher should have clear training in how to understand and explain the Bible. It’s possible that some street preachers wouldn’t have this knowledge (not saying that all would, but without the checks and balances of a pulpit and denomination or congregation, there is less accountability).
4. When we do tell people the gospel, I think the danger is to fall too easily into the “all about mercy and forgiveness” without remembering our sinfulness before God, or vice versa, to fall into the “all fall short of the glory of God and are sinners” without talking of the great news of God’s salvation. There is that danger whether you preach on the street or in a pulpit.
Anyway, I’m not saying that street preachers don’t reach people, because God reaches people through many ways, as we know. I hope the above articulates why some might be concerned about street preaching, at least a little.
For me, if someone turns and confesses Christ, no matter how, if it’s good enough for God, then it’s definitely good enough for me.
In love, G
======================================================
Scripture says that anyone who confesses the name of Jesus and believe in their heart that he is Lord will be saved (Romans 10:9). So it doesn't matter how the Holy Spirit works. The true conversion is one of turning and repenting and trusting in Jesus as your Lord and Saviour. So in that sense, it doesn't matter who tells you the good news, you are a Christian.
However, as I have been thinking about it, I was wondering why I was concerned about street preachers. I think it's because of the following concerns:
1. Having someone approach you on the street seems a bit, um, weird? If you know what I mean? It's a risk of tainting the great news of the kingdom with the "wacky" brush if you get approached in the street.
2. The Bible is really clear that those who teach should watch their doctrine closely (1 Tim 4), that they will be judged more strictly (James 3), that they need to hold firmly to the trustworthy message that they’ve been taught (Titus 1), and that people will want to hear what their itching ears want to hear, rather than the truth (2 Timothy 4). It’s really tempting to distort the gospel when you’re trying to win people over. I think this would be harder out on the street – that a street preacher might find it harder, in the moment, to stick to the truth in love.
3. Therefore, it’s really important that people who are teaching others the bible have themselves sound understanding of the Bible. We all know people who distort the Bible for their own purposes. Each preacher or teacher should have clear training in how to understand and explain the Bible. It’s possible that some street preachers wouldn’t have this knowledge (not saying that all would, but without the checks and balances of a pulpit and denomination or congregation, there is less accountability).
4. When we do tell people the gospel, I think the danger is to fall too easily into the “all about mercy and forgiveness” without remembering our sinfulness before God, or vice versa, to fall into the “all fall short of the glory of God and are sinners” without talking of the great news of God’s salvation. There is that danger whether you preach on the street or in a pulpit.
Anyway, I’m not saying that street preachers don’t reach people, because God reaches people through many ways, as we know. I hope the above articulates why some might be concerned about street preaching, at least a little.
For me, if someone turns and confesses Christ, no matter how, if it’s good enough for God, then it’s definitely good enough for me.
In love, G
Thanks for liking my ferret card on the mad for markers blog! My brother had ferrets when we were young. I see you like them too. If you do ever want me to make you a card I have a website www.aussiecardsforsale.com and I do special orders.
ReplyDeleteAlicia xx