Movies in summer
I love reading the blogposts of my friends Bec and Jess, so I decided in 2018 to revive this blog and try to blog once a month. But of course in holidays there's so much stuff to write about, and I have had this burning desire to talk about the movies I've seen over the holidays because my friends gave me a movie voucher for my birthday and I've now used it all.
SPOILERS - you have been warned!
Wonder
TL:DR The book's better.
I really liked the movie. I saw this with my aunt as we were trying to see Downsizing but I booked a week ahead of myself and this was only movie left. My aunt didn't want to see it because she knew she'd cry. We both cried. A lot. It was incredibly poignant and thought-provoking as the different characters showed their challenges and their viewpoints. But the ending was too schmaltzy and while I wouldn't say it ruined it, it would be better without it.
The Last Jedi
TL:DR what the hell were they thinking with "Flying Leia"!
I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, but I do like this new generation of characters. Of course, it was a bit tokenistic and forced to have so much diversity, but actually, apart from the lack of females in earlier iterations, it actually always has had diversity. There have always been a wide range of characters and personalities and ethnicities and species! I found the whole link between Rey and Kylo Ren to be weird, but spooky and ultimately destructive. I found the killing of Snoke to be unexpected and a bit anticlimactic. I understood the hiding of Luke away and I laughed at the stupid jokes. I liked seeing this with my friends the R' family.
Pitch Perfect
TL:DR Suspend your disbelief over the ridiculous plot and enjoy the singing
I've been anticipating this movie like I've never anticipated a movie in my life before. I'd watched every preview and I had already memorised some of the funniest lines. I saw this with Jessx3 and E, and it was ridiculous. Of course I loved the singing. Of course I loved the characters and how they'd moved forward. I was sad about the breakup of Fat Amy and Bumper (although that romance was ridiculous from the beginning) and Jesse and Beca (not such a ridiculous stretch of imagination). I hated, hated, hated the subplot with Fat Amy's Dad. Stupid. And appallingly bad acting and accent from John Lithgow. But I'm still listening to the music and I'll buy the movie as soon as it appears on iTunes. And probably watch it again, and again.
The Greatest Showman
TL:DR Didn't expect to love it as much as I did
My cousin's daughter had a few hours between her camp for Juvenile Diabetes ending and her plane trip, so I hung out with her and we went to La Perouse for lunch and then saw TGS. I wasn't sure I'd like it - but I really, really did. Think La La Land crossed with Moulin Rouge. But with a happy ending. I downloaded the album and will enjoy listening to it and PP3 as I return to work tomorrow. Hugh Jackman was robbed at the Golden Globes. Probably the best movie I've seen this holidays.
Downsizing
TL:DR could've been better but still made me think
I realised my expectations about this movie were more "Honey I shrunk the kids" and less "The Truman Show" but it was slightly creepy overall as these medium wealthy people descended into rich miniature lives. But what happens when it goes wrong? They could've made so much about this movie - the break up of the marriage, the adjustment to life as a small person, the different communities. And yet it descended into this weird cultish thing. I found the Asian character to be quite racist... but maybe I'm hypersensitive.
Ok, that's it for now.
Hopefully I'll be back at the end of the month to write about January.
SPOILERS - you have been warned!
Wonder
TL:DR The book's better.
I really liked the movie. I saw this with my aunt as we were trying to see Downsizing but I booked a week ahead of myself and this was only movie left. My aunt didn't want to see it because she knew she'd cry. We both cried. A lot. It was incredibly poignant and thought-provoking as the different characters showed their challenges and their viewpoints. But the ending was too schmaltzy and while I wouldn't say it ruined it, it would be better without it.
The Last Jedi
TL:DR what the hell were they thinking with "Flying Leia"!
I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, but I do like this new generation of characters. Of course, it was a bit tokenistic and forced to have so much diversity, but actually, apart from the lack of females in earlier iterations, it actually always has had diversity. There have always been a wide range of characters and personalities and ethnicities and species! I found the whole link between Rey and Kylo Ren to be weird, but spooky and ultimately destructive. I found the killing of Snoke to be unexpected and a bit anticlimactic. I understood the hiding of Luke away and I laughed at the stupid jokes. I liked seeing this with my friends the R' family.
Pitch Perfect
TL:DR Suspend your disbelief over the ridiculous plot and enjoy the singing
I've been anticipating this movie like I've never anticipated a movie in my life before. I'd watched every preview and I had already memorised some of the funniest lines. I saw this with Jessx3 and E, and it was ridiculous. Of course I loved the singing. Of course I loved the characters and how they'd moved forward. I was sad about the breakup of Fat Amy and Bumper (although that romance was ridiculous from the beginning) and Jesse and Beca (not such a ridiculous stretch of imagination). I hated, hated, hated the subplot with Fat Amy's Dad. Stupid. And appallingly bad acting and accent from John Lithgow. But I'm still listening to the music and I'll buy the movie as soon as it appears on iTunes. And probably watch it again, and again.
The Greatest Showman
TL:DR Didn't expect to love it as much as I did
My cousin's daughter had a few hours between her camp for Juvenile Diabetes ending and her plane trip, so I hung out with her and we went to La Perouse for lunch and then saw TGS. I wasn't sure I'd like it - but I really, really did. Think La La Land crossed with Moulin Rouge. But with a happy ending. I downloaded the album and will enjoy listening to it and PP3 as I return to work tomorrow. Hugh Jackman was robbed at the Golden Globes. Probably the best movie I've seen this holidays.
Downsizing
TL:DR could've been better but still made me think
I realised my expectations about this movie were more "Honey I shrunk the kids" and less "The Truman Show" but it was slightly creepy overall as these medium wealthy people descended into rich miniature lives. But what happens when it goes wrong? They could've made so much about this movie - the break up of the marriage, the adjustment to life as a small person, the different communities. And yet it descended into this weird cultish thing. I found the Asian character to be quite racist... but maybe I'm hypersensitive.
Ok, that's it for now.
Hopefully I'll be back at the end of the month to write about January.
Comments
Post a Comment