Non-Steptember
Last September I managed to complete the Steptember challenge, logging up 10,000 steps (except I replaced mine with swimming, boxing, gym and PT due to my foot). That seems absolutely laughable as this September comes to a close.
SO. FRUSTRATED.
I managed to get to the pool a total of twice in September, unless I manage to go to today (possible). I swam 2.7km. In an entire month.
And that is my life.
So the glandular fever has reared its ugly head a lot in the last two weeks. I've been back to having to sleep in the afternoon, and then also having a full night's sleep. I ache almost constantly (I am aching right now). I feel tired pretty constantly. I had a day where I couldn't get out of bed. I almost had another. It's my birthday in 5 days (happy birthday to me) and I really just COULDN'T BE BOTHERED. I am having lunch with Melissa. I am going to Evita with my mother in the evening. Of course, going out at night is hard so I am fully expecting not be to able to go to work the next day. Even though there will be CAKE. Cos that is my life.
ARGHHH.
But I will write my month's summary, and I will include the good things too. Because life is not just about a VIRUS.
Work's going ok. I keep needing to leave about 3pm but I'm managing to get my work done. A lot of time has been spent getting ready to recruit 43 new bodies for next year, which is probably my largest number at this stage of the year (it sometimes increases between now and March). It's the flow on effect from the additional 9 subjects 2 years ago, as those people are now graduating. I've been working with one of my seniors so she can run 12 group interviews in the next 3 weeks, and I will also run 12. It's taken several days of work to update the documentation and write down things for her, train her in reading the applications (she read and analysed 80% of them on her own) and get her ready. We start on Tuesday! I am looking forward to it but hoping that 4 interviews over 4 days for 3 weeks in a row will not kill me.
I've also been working with a colleague at the University of Wollongong to assess the submissions for the PASS and Peer Learning conference we are co-ordinating together in November. We now have a fairly good draft program ready. It's hard for her because the 2 senior people at Wollongong had maternity leave at the same time and she's new to the job this year, but it's going well. I offered to help last September (and had to really beg management to stay involved over this period of sickness).
Other than that, I did the diabetes 2 hour lemonade test, and found out I'm insulin resistant, on the way to diabetes. That's doubly frustrating because I can't exercise, so my GP has put me on a drug which will hopefully help and I'm trying to be more mindful about eating the low-GI options more. I also did a test in my week of holidays to see if I was eligible for laser surgery, but I'm too old, and I'm too young for the other option. So I'll just continue with my glasses life. I have also booked in with the fatigue clinic near RPA to try and learn how to manage having so little energy. Sadly it's not all on Medicare.
I had brunch with a few friends this month, mostly when I was on holidays, but that was nice. I said no to a bunch of stuff, including, painfully, the singleness conference I had been looking forward to for months, because I just was too sick. Thankfully my friends Karen and Elsie shared their notes and I got a good sense of the day.
I also signed up for 200GB of internet for a year. So now I can download talks and podcasts and I've been watching a fair bit of Dateline on SBS and some background to Survivor which I wouldn't have seen otherwise. I'm worried about the cost ($60/month) but realistically it should be ok, I hope.
I also went to Canberra to visit my family, due to some serious health issues of family members. It went fairly badly. I came home early. You can ask me privately. I also went my cousins' farm outside Tamworth with Elsie, that was fun, but it knocked me fatigue wise for the following week.
My long weekend plans are basic: try and get the house clean, write prayer for church, practise piano for church. I have one fun thing planned. But that is Monday, so it's October. I also bought some mince, sauce and pasta and I'm going to try to cook an actual bunch of meals, for the first time since February. Youfoodz is very yummy, but I just want to eat my own food, if I can. Of course, I might end up throwing it all in the bin/freezer/pantry if I don't get the energy.
I also got invited to go away with some families in January, which is just the best PES, and of course, in October and November I have Di's party and Bec's musical to look forward to. I really need to just count my blessings.
And that, my friends, is September.
SO. FRUSTRATED.
I managed to get to the pool a total of twice in September, unless I manage to go to today (possible). I swam 2.7km. In an entire month.
And that is my life.
So the glandular fever has reared its ugly head a lot in the last two weeks. I've been back to having to sleep in the afternoon, and then also having a full night's sleep. I ache almost constantly (I am aching right now). I feel tired pretty constantly. I had a day where I couldn't get out of bed. I almost had another. It's my birthday in 5 days (happy birthday to me) and I really just COULDN'T BE BOTHERED. I am having lunch with Melissa. I am going to Evita with my mother in the evening. Of course, going out at night is hard so I am fully expecting not be to able to go to work the next day. Even though there will be CAKE. Cos that is my life.
ARGHHH.
But I will write my month's summary, and I will include the good things too. Because life is not just about a VIRUS.
Work's going ok. I keep needing to leave about 3pm but I'm managing to get my work done. A lot of time has been spent getting ready to recruit 43 new bodies for next year, which is probably my largest number at this stage of the year (it sometimes increases between now and March). It's the flow on effect from the additional 9 subjects 2 years ago, as those people are now graduating. I've been working with one of my seniors so she can run 12 group interviews in the next 3 weeks, and I will also run 12. It's taken several days of work to update the documentation and write down things for her, train her in reading the applications (she read and analysed 80% of them on her own) and get her ready. We start on Tuesday! I am looking forward to it but hoping that 4 interviews over 4 days for 3 weeks in a row will not kill me.
I've also been working with a colleague at the University of Wollongong to assess the submissions for the PASS and Peer Learning conference we are co-ordinating together in November. We now have a fairly good draft program ready. It's hard for her because the 2 senior people at Wollongong had maternity leave at the same time and she's new to the job this year, but it's going well. I offered to help last September (and had to really beg management to stay involved over this period of sickness).
Other than that, I did the diabetes 2 hour lemonade test, and found out I'm insulin resistant, on the way to diabetes. That's doubly frustrating because I can't exercise, so my GP has put me on a drug which will hopefully help and I'm trying to be more mindful about eating the low-GI options more. I also did a test in my week of holidays to see if I was eligible for laser surgery, but I'm too old, and I'm too young for the other option. So I'll just continue with my glasses life. I have also booked in with the fatigue clinic near RPA to try and learn how to manage having so little energy. Sadly it's not all on Medicare.
I had brunch with a few friends this month, mostly when I was on holidays, but that was nice. I said no to a bunch of stuff, including, painfully, the singleness conference I had been looking forward to for months, because I just was too sick. Thankfully my friends Karen and Elsie shared their notes and I got a good sense of the day.
I also signed up for 200GB of internet for a year. So now I can download talks and podcasts and I've been watching a fair bit of Dateline on SBS and some background to Survivor which I wouldn't have seen otherwise. I'm worried about the cost ($60/month) but realistically it should be ok, I hope.
I also went to Canberra to visit my family, due to some serious health issues of family members. It went fairly badly. I came home early. You can ask me privately. I also went my cousins' farm outside Tamworth with Elsie, that was fun, but it knocked me fatigue wise for the following week.
My long weekend plans are basic: try and get the house clean, write prayer for church, practise piano for church. I have one fun thing planned. But that is Monday, so it's October. I also bought some mince, sauce and pasta and I'm going to try to cook an actual bunch of meals, for the first time since February. Youfoodz is very yummy, but I just want to eat my own food, if I can. Of course, I might end up throwing it all in the bin/freezer/pantry if I don't get the energy.
I also got invited to go away with some families in January, which is just the best PES, and of course, in October and November I have Di's party and Bec's musical to look forward to. I really need to just count my blessings.
And that, my friends, is September.




Comments
Post a Comment