Filling your well

Well, Karen has once again caused me to reflect and I am going to write a bit about it here. She talks about self-care and self-management and asks:

"...what do you find restorative? What can you add to my list?"


1. Getting home. Just getting into my room, sitting down on my bed, and having a wrestle game with my fuzzbutts. The very environment relaxes me. It's my haven, my home, my little room, my place.

2. My fuzzbutts. Picking them up, smelling their fur, giving them a kiss on their forehead. Just being with them. See 1.

3. Exercise. Yes, I'm not a huge fan of trundling on the treadmill, or lifting weights, but exercise restores and also makes me feel good. And, Mum, I am looking after myself.

4. Blogging. Just thinking and writing. And writing and thinking.

5. Reading a good book, providing I have the time to actually read it. I find it very hard to not read a whole novel at a time, so if there's not a lot of time, I prefer a novel I've read before, or non-fiction. I'm such a "J" that I love to finish things and I find it hard to leave things half-done.

6. Talking about Jesus with other Christians. There's something so fundamentally right about sitting and discussing the word of God. It's restorative and it reminds me of the eternal hope and the fallen world.

7. Swimming outside. It opens up the world to you. You can roll over and face the sky, or dive down and look up through the water. The sun. The air. The open-ness of it. One reason why I swim less in winter when I can't be outside.

8. Going for a walk outside, somewhere quiet (like a park). Not next to a main road. But where there's less noise. In the bush. Or the national park. That sort of place.

9. Meeting a friend for a meal or coffee or something. Chatting to them. Particular friends who are very good at this include Sammi, Karen, Bec, HF (now HK), and BR.

10. Getting my life in order. Putting away the washing. Cleaning up the ferret litter. Washing up. Tidying my room. Organising the diary. Doing the grocery shopping. All that sense of not being out of control.

11. Actually having a day at work where I get at least one thing that I have on my list done. Today I did 2 out of 3. Not bad.

12. Sleeping. But not too much. Except for Mums with young kids, I think we can sometimes fall into the habit of sleeping too much. Sleep regularly and go to bed at the same time and get up at the same time every day. It makes a huge difference.

13. Going anywhere where there's lots of animals I can watch. The zoo. The beach. The outdoors. A wildlife park.

That'll do for now. I'm sure there's more.

Comments

  1. What a fab list - thanks for sharing Georgina

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I completely forgot about Bible stuff! Good point. Nice list too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

June

Community

Not worried