The Beatnix
So, my new found ability to be brave and do different things meant that after a good afternoon weekend nap, I was ready to do something.
My friend Rob Smith had invited many people to the Beatnix, so I madly texted many friends inviting. And thankfully, Elsie, the wonderful Elsie, came through.
Rob's invited me before, and the gigs are usually at Dee Why, or Sutherland or somesuch out of the way place. And it was no exception this time. It was at Blacktown.
So Elsie was busy and couldn't get back, so we headed out there quite late. It started at 8pm, and after getting slightly lost (taking the wrong turn off the M4), we found our way to the Blacktown Workers club.
I ended up parking in a "small spot". I love having a small car!
We were greeted by a very fancy mode of entry (scanning our licenses and then printing our own temporary membership card using the signature on our licenses - it felt a bit of an invasion actually) and then paid our $5.50 to get in.
They were great! Lots of great Beatles classics. Fake English accents. And the crowd was mostly over 50's. The instruments were cool. The costumes amazing. It felt a bit like I was seeing the Beatles, which of course, is the point.
We talked for a while to the people on the table with us, and it turned out that some of them were also friends with Rob. So that was a bit of a coincidence, because there probably 500 people there.
We hung around afterwards to see Rob. And he sent me a message later on Facebook. I miss Rob. He is like a gentle father figure, and desperately gifted at music. I used to love singing with him at TBT. Which, by the way, has been "renamed" to "City Night Church".
My friend Rob Smith had invited many people to the Beatnix, so I madly texted many friends inviting. And thankfully, Elsie, the wonderful Elsie, came through.
Rob's invited me before, and the gigs are usually at Dee Why, or Sutherland or somesuch out of the way place. And it was no exception this time. It was at Blacktown.
So Elsie was busy and couldn't get back, so we headed out there quite late. It started at 8pm, and after getting slightly lost (taking the wrong turn off the M4), we found our way to the Blacktown Workers club.
I ended up parking in a "small spot". I love having a small car!
We were greeted by a very fancy mode of entry (scanning our licenses and then printing our own temporary membership card using the signature on our licenses - it felt a bit of an invasion actually) and then paid our $5.50 to get in.
They were great! Lots of great Beatles classics. Fake English accents. And the crowd was mostly over 50's. The instruments were cool. The costumes amazing. It felt a bit like I was seeing the Beatles, which of course, is the point.
We talked for a while to the people on the table with us, and it turned out that some of them were also friends with Rob. So that was a bit of a coincidence, because there probably 500 people there.
We hung around afterwards to see Rob. And he sent me a message later on Facebook. I miss Rob. He is like a gentle father figure, and desperately gifted at music. I used to love singing with him at TBT. Which, by the way, has been "renamed" to "City Night Church".
Cool!! It sounds like fun! Glad Elsie could go :)
ReplyDeleteI'm sure Rob was encouraged that you went!