Watchmen
About 5 years ago I went to a party my friend Amanda was hosting. She was turning 30 and I was working with her at the time. I didn't know anyone else at the party, except one guy I'd met through my work at UNSW. So I ended up talking to him.
He was studying an MBA and so, yes, you can think "bright". He was. We were talking about our lives and he made a comment that has changed how I viewed my life.
He said:
"You're so afraid of doing anything, that you're not doing much at all."
It was one of those comments that hits home, and lives with you for a long time, similar to the comments I've had like:
"Imagine what you could have gotten if you'd studied" in response to my TER of 97.10.
"Why don't you have a boyfriend?"
"You're a dole bludger"
all from very significant figures in my life.
Anyway, since then I've tried to embrace the avoided - SCUBA diving, black water caving, travelling by myself, going overseas, changing jobs. I'm trying to live as though I'm scared, but I'm going to do it anyway.
So, in that spirit, as well as the spirit of being 30, single and Christian, I accepted Karen's invitation to go to see Watchmen.
Now, if you know me even vaguely you'll know that I don't really embrace sci-fi, that fantasy and me part company at the Narnia series. So it was a bit stretch to see a sci-fi comic movie.
I really liked it. Now, I could whinge about the giant blue genitals, or the sex scene, but what has really caused me to like it, and wonder what people think movies are supposed to be about, was the vulnerability, honesty and normalcy of the characters.
Yes, it wasn't the best movie to see at Imax (and for my first experience of Imax especially!) And yes, it probably had a lot of things they could've done better. But really, it was a movie about human frailty, human vulnerability and human relationships.
So whether it was sci-fi or not, doesn't really matter. It was fun. I enjoyed it. Thanks Karen.
He was studying an MBA and so, yes, you can think "bright". He was. We were talking about our lives and he made a comment that has changed how I viewed my life.
He said:
"You're so afraid of doing anything, that you're not doing much at all."
It was one of those comments that hits home, and lives with you for a long time, similar to the comments I've had like:
"Imagine what you could have gotten if you'd studied" in response to my TER of 97.10.
"Why don't you have a boyfriend?"
"You're a dole bludger"
all from very significant figures in my life.
Anyway, since then I've tried to embrace the avoided - SCUBA diving, black water caving, travelling by myself, going overseas, changing jobs. I'm trying to live as though I'm scared, but I'm going to do it anyway.
So, in that spirit, as well as the spirit of being 30, single and Christian, I accepted Karen's invitation to go to see Watchmen.
Now, if you know me even vaguely you'll know that I don't really embrace sci-fi, that fantasy and me part company at the Narnia series. So it was a bit stretch to see a sci-fi comic movie.
I really liked it. Now, I could whinge about the giant blue genitals, or the sex scene, but what has really caused me to like it, and wonder what people think movies are supposed to be about, was the vulnerability, honesty and normalcy of the characters.
Yes, it wasn't the best movie to see at Imax (and for my first experience of Imax especially!) And yes, it probably had a lot of things they could've done better. But really, it was a movie about human frailty, human vulnerability and human relationships.
So whether it was sci-fi or not, doesn't really matter. It was fun. I enjoyed it. Thanks Karen.
I read these posts the other day when you posted as they popped up in my google reader... but only now am getting to comment!
ReplyDeleteYou are very courageous (I always think that!)
glad you enjoyed it! :)
You're welcome! I'm glad you came! :)
ReplyDelete