3 things that have helped when experiencing doubt, and 3 things that didn't
So, a few weeks ago (the exact amount I am uncertain about) I stated publicly via FB that I was experiencing doubt and thought I would walk away from God. This is still the case, this many weeks along. Actually it's been the case for a while, if I'm honest.
There was a lot of comments when I said this. And lots of kerfuffle too. These are three things that have helped (and three things that didn't):
1. I received a letter from a dear young man at church, one of my favourite people. He said "it's ok to keep coming to church, even if you're not sure you believe. People come to church for all sorts of reasons, not just when they're Christian. Some come for supper." He made me feel like it was ok to worry about coming, but ok still to come.
2. My old pastor comtacted me - a man I deeply trust and like. We met up for coffee. It was wonderful..Another friend from my old church had told him about my meltdown.
3. A primary school friend contacted me and we arranged to meet up. She listened without judgement.
Three things that didn't:
1. Being reminded that if I didn't believe I was going to hell. It made me feel worse.
2. People assuming they knew the reason (who didn't, particularly when i wasn't even sure what the reason was)
3. People assuming because my life was really stressful at the time that's what it was (for the record, I've felt doubt for weeks before this stressful period and it just got worse)
So where am I now? I'm not sure. And therefore, dear reader, please don't assume you know..
Comments
Post a Comment