There is only one true religion?
So, I've listened to a couple of talks that the wonderful Bec referred me to on FB. They are by Tim Keller from Redeemer Presbyterian in NYC and they are on topics I want to think through. While I was at work, doing meaningless, mindless, but necessary work (filing, data entry, etc.) I listened to a couple. And now I've found that I actually had his book in my bookshelf. I think the book is also from the same talk series, as it's published in 2008.
The topics it has are:
1. There can't be just one true religion
2. How could a good god allow suffering?
3. Christianity is a straitjacket
4. The church is responsible for so much injustice
5. How can a loving God send people to hell?
6. Science has disproved Christianity
7. You can't take the Bible literally
Now, for me, I think I've worked out a lot about suffering over the years, so 2. is not really my issue I think. Number 3 is probably a thought I have, but I've never been the type to mind "fitting in". I like rules and boundaries. Unlike many of my friends, I was actually quite sad to leave high school. I liked the structure and the routine.
With number 4, I know this, but I also understand the fallen-ness of man, and that equally, if not greater, the non-church has been responsible for much injustice, and I certainly know that I am more accepted, forgiven and encouraged to be upright and moral in the church than I would be out of it. It makes me so uncomfortable to socialise with people who don't believe that we shouldn't steal music or movies, that sex is best inside of marriage, that getting drunk is not totally ok and we have a terrible drinking culture problem in Australia, and that we are all universally fallen.
Number 6 - I really think it's a bogus argument, having both a science degree, working in a university for almost 15 years and generally being a thinking person. I've never thought this, and I'm not about to start now. Number 7 - well, I think literature needs to be read with context in mind, no matter what type. You don't read Romeo and Juliet thinking that you should fake a suicide for love!!
But it's #1 and #5 that are probably my biggest issues. So I guess I'll read "There can't be just one true religion" first.
Ok, I really need to buy a bed, so I'm going bed shopping now. Bye.
The topics it has are:
1. There can't be just one true religion
2. How could a good god allow suffering?
3. Christianity is a straitjacket
4. The church is responsible for so much injustice
5. How can a loving God send people to hell?
6. Science has disproved Christianity
7. You can't take the Bible literally
Now, for me, I think I've worked out a lot about suffering over the years, so 2. is not really my issue I think. Number 3 is probably a thought I have, but I've never been the type to mind "fitting in". I like rules and boundaries. Unlike many of my friends, I was actually quite sad to leave high school. I liked the structure and the routine.
With number 4, I know this, but I also understand the fallen-ness of man, and that equally, if not greater, the non-church has been responsible for much injustice, and I certainly know that I am more accepted, forgiven and encouraged to be upright and moral in the church than I would be out of it. It makes me so uncomfortable to socialise with people who don't believe that we shouldn't steal music or movies, that sex is best inside of marriage, that getting drunk is not totally ok and we have a terrible drinking culture problem in Australia, and that we are all universally fallen.
Number 6 - I really think it's a bogus argument, having both a science degree, working in a university for almost 15 years and generally being a thinking person. I've never thought this, and I'm not about to start now. Number 7 - well, I think literature needs to be read with context in mind, no matter what type. You don't read Romeo and Juliet thinking that you should fake a suicide for love!!
But it's #1 and #5 that are probably my biggest issues. So I guess I'll read "There can't be just one true religion" first.
Ok, I really need to buy a bed, so I'm going bed shopping now. Bye.
Love this post. It encourages others to think about these things too. I don't have a massive problem with trusting blindly but that can be a bad thing too!
ReplyDelete