Trip to Canberra

Well, I had to go to Canberra last weekend to help my sister move out of her place. It was going to be a fraught situation, and it was. I got the chance to see my grandma and my aunt. My grandma is fading fast - she's more confused, more unaware, and more bewildered every time I see her. It's kinda sad. I know she's hanging out to be with the Lord though, so that's pretty cool.

Anyway, there's no radio reception on the way to Canberra, and the drive is so boring. I must have been down that highway 100 times in the last 20 years. So I decided to make some compilation CD's because there's no radio reception and my new car has a CD player. And now the law's changed, it's legal to make your own compilation CD's.

I know I don't usually write about music - I don't have much to say. But I think this is interesting enough and doesn't matter if you don't - no need to read :)

These are the songs I chose for my rock CD (bearing in mind that I don't have a huge number of rock/pop albums) and this wasn't a definitive list of my favourite songs, just some of my favourites:

You Know My Name (From "Casino Royale") Chris Cornell - I love the great rock riff at the beginning of this and the cool sexy male voice.

You Wes Carr - unlike nearly all the first singles that Australian Idol has produced, this one captures who Wes is. He's a guitarist, with an ok husky voice. And I love the harmonica addition.

We Built This City Starship - We built this city- the harmony at the beginning. Starts the song. So clever. And the long drum roll down the pitched drums pitched. An 80's classic. Don't you remember, we built this city? Never fails to pep me up - such a go out and get there song.

Sk8er Boi Avril Lavigne - another classic hard rock beat and great guitar riff. A classic song telling a story of a missed opportunity. He wasn't good enough for her - don't take the first impressions as the only one. And I know it's trite, but I like the sms spelling of the song title.

Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It) Beyoncé - my God Beyonce can sing. Her voice is amazing. And I do mean that. She's an absolutely astounding vocalist. And another song about commitment, and getting in. Funky beat. And this is the B side to the single "If I were a boy" - a deep and sad song. One of my favourites. And did I mention, this girl can SING!

Pressure Down John Farnham - What a funky beat! Still holds it even this song is 20 years old. Bump... bumpbump bumpbump - And Johnny, is another one who can truly sing. And I have a soft spot for Johnny since he sang in the Olympics with me :)

My Sharona The Knack - This song is all about the beat and bass guitar at the beginning. The song lyrics itself - well, if you don't know, don't look them up. It's pretty icky. But the sheer funk in this song!!

My People The Presets - Oh the rock beat in this song. Such a dance hit. I would love to be in a crowded room dancing like crazy to this. And I don't even normally like night clubs. But this is a fabulous song which you should feel interrupting your heart beat and penetrating into your rib cage. If you don't hear the bass there, then you're not hearing it.

Mercy Duffy = I can't listen to this song now without seeing the dance that was choreagraphed by the brilliant Mia Michaels on So You Think You Can Dance America last season - with Katee and Twitch. I love the funk in this song. I guess there's a theme here. I love the funkiness. "you got me begging me for mercy"

Lollipop Mika - funky bass comes in with a 11445511 built in. I love Mika. Mika is my favourite current artist. So innovative. I love every single song on this album. Can't wait for another album. Like the modern Queen.


Iko Iko The Belle Stars - I heard this song on the latest SYTYCD. Another one with great percussion and a strong beat. Funky yeah!

I Wish I Was a Punk Rocker (With Flowers In My Hair) Sandi Thom - Oh the sadness in this song. Such a beautiful and simple song. "I was born too late, into a world that doesn't care." "When computers were still scary and we didn't know everything."


I'm Outta Love Anastacia - I remember seeing an interview with her. She had such a massive voice. Like my voice. There's funky guitar in this with wah wah pedals. Then she comes in with this amazing drum beat. How many times can I say funky in one post?


How Do You Do! Roxette - I love Roxette. All of her songs. This one "I see you comb your hair" with that husky weird male voice. And then Roxette comes in "How do you do?" - shivers down the back of my spine!

Good Vibrations The Beach Boys - I once read that this was one of the most innovative songs of the 60's and I agree. The falsetto. The harmony. The way the song moves through different modes "I'm picking up good vibrations" - with this low bass, then covering it with a multiple harmony. Clever, clever. Then a light spacey "softly smile I know she must be kind". That amazing instrument that sounds like a spaceship from the 50's - what's it called? The internet says "theremin".


Black & Gold Sam Sparrow -A song about creation. With a full on funky dance beat, and some cool sounds. "If a fish swam out of the ocean and grew legs and started walking?" ... "Is it all a bunch of matter?"


Any Other World Mika - I love Mika so much, I need to have 2 songs. Any Other World - starts off with this cool piano thing. I reckon I could play it. "In any other world, you could tell the difference" and then a cool cello... and the deep sound of the cello vibrates off your soul. Does any other modern pop song use strings so effectively?


Amen and All Summer Long Kid Rock - Kid Rock is cool. Expletive ridden, but cool. All Summer Long samples Sweet Home Alabama, but it's modern and edgy. I love that song. And Amen? - Well, it's a soulful song. "Can you imagine what it's like to starve to death" "Another soldier has to tell my wife and children I love them in his last breath" - well, Amen.

Age of Reason John Farnham - It's the ticking of the clock and the piano at the beginning that gets me, and then another awesome drum beat. I love drum beats. "What about the world around us?" "How can we fail to see?"


Maybe another time I'll tell you about my favourite choral works, or my favourite Christian and contemplative songs, but that'll do now. It's after 10, after all, and I have to go to bed. :)

Comments

  1. Nice compilation, George! I love Mika - he is so very fun. I hope you don't mind me sharing my Mika story...

    I went overseas on a conference/research trip in 2007, and my luggage got lost at Heathrow Airport, and didn't make it all the way to Manchester with me. I had to go out and buy some clothes rather urgently - no fun at the best of times, but even worse when you're not familiar with the shops and sizes. I was feeling rather yucky, and then when I finally managed to get through to the British Airways lost luggage line, I was told they hadn't even found my bag yet, so I wouldn't get it for another couple of days. Not happy! I dressed in my new outfit (all together, wasn't too unhappy with the way I looked) and headed into the city to find dinner. I think I was listening to Mika on my iPod as well! I started hearing some music - sounded live, so I followed it. Eventually found a square where Mika was performing LIVE! I only heard a few songs, but it was awesome! Made my night!

    (Sorry for the long comment!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool! And of course I don't mind the long comment. I love all comments! And that's such a cool one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I left a comment the other day but it disaparated... mmm!
    Great compilation.. would enjoy listening to that! lol!
    Glad you were able to help your sister and see your Aunt and Grandma!!
    *bigHUGS*
    am enjoying your DVDs (Thanks!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this post :) and the compilation.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not worried

Community